Meet AIDS Healthcare Foundation Pharmacist, and Artist, Alsean Bryant

SPONSORED CONTENT

The 340B drug pricing program enables covered entities to stretch scarce federal resources as far as possible, reaching more eligible patients and providing more comprehensive services. But 340B’s benefit goes beyond providing office visits with a physician and prescriptions to control HIV. 340B also supports the execution of many pharmacy support services. One is AIDS Healthcare Foundation’s Strategic Response Team (SRT). 

Alsean Bryant, an AHF pharmacist in the Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia (DMV) region, notes that as a member of the Strategic Response Team at AHF he is a, “resource that bridges the gap between lack of insurance and receiving care.”  

So let’s get to know Bryant, and how the 340B program helps him better serve his community.

Bryant is a Magna Cum Laude graduate of the historically black university, Florida Agriculture and Mechanical University (FAMU), and he is not only a pharmacist but a singer, songwriter, and author. 

Bryant brings over 10 years of HIV experience to his role as an SRT Pharmacist and PrEP wellness provider at AHF. Deeply rooted in the community, he’s able to explore fun and effective ways to serve his pharmacy clients. As an SRT member, Bryant has two essential roles. First, to ensure clinical and operational functions are fully executed at an AHF Pharmacy, and second–to combine his clinical expertise with client engagement. This helps him assess his clients’ needs, ensures his clients consistently fill their prescriptions, and increases the likelihood that his clients stay in care.

Alsean Bryant

By night, Bryant activates his creative persona, Sean B. As a singer/songwriter, his talent has landed him nearly two dozen song placements with various artists, as well in TV and film including BET, All Black, Tubi, and Netflix. In addition to writing songs, Bryant is a contributing author to “I Wear A White Coat,” a book unveiling the truth in the African American doctor’s journey.

Bryant believes that we’re all meant to create, therefore, he’s using his professional skills and artistic talent to empower his clients to work on their health as well as their creative expression.

In October 2021, the Washington, D.C. AHF Pharmacy launched a pharmacist-led PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) program that’s filled over 120 prescriptions to date. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, PrEP can reduce your chance of getting HIV from sex or injection drug use. When taken as prescribed, PrEP is highly effective for preventing HIV. 

Bryant and providers at the Washington, D.C. pharmacy determined that while 75% of patients have commercial insurance or Medicaid, the remaining 25% of their patients rely on a patient assistance program voucher (PAP) for prescription drugs. The patient assistance program is a drug-company-run program to help people living with HIV get a limited supply of their drugs to start their treatment. Bryant’s role as an SRT helps patients attain reliable coverage so they don’t have to depend on PAP vouchers to receive care.

AHF’s Strategic Response Team meets a clear need in the DMV area, and beyond, for support services that help vulnerable populations receive regular care. The 340B program allows vital support services to exist so that caring and creative pharmacists like Alsean Bryant can help people living with HIV get their viral load to an undetectable level and lead an otherwise healthy life.

Asha Doucet is Content Marketing Specialist at AHF. For questions, please email feedback@ahf.org.

Website | + posts
« Read Previous Read Next »
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors
×

*Sign up for news summaries and alerts from 340B Report